- Domestic – Divorce and Dissolution, Pre-Nuptial and Property Agreements
- Collaborative Family Law
- Adoption, Second-Parent Adoption, Parentage
- Unmarried Domestic Partnership; Shared-Custody; LGBT Family Issues
- Wills and Personal / Family Legal Planning
- Mediation and Arbitration
Carol Ann Fey is a family law attorney, certified by the Ohio State Bar Association as an Ohio Family Relations Law Specialist since such certification was offered in 2000. Carol joined the firm as Of Counsel effective August 2018.
Carol began her legal career in 1985 as an Assistant Attorney General for the State of Ohio; she then served as a judicial clerk for Justice Clifford F. Brown, Supreme Court of Ohio. She then moved into the private practice of law and established a primary focus in family law. Carol’s practice includes divorce, dissolution, collaborative divorce, and custody matters for both LGBTQ and traditional clients, along with non-traditional family law matters such as formation and dissolution of LGBTQ and other unmarried relationships, parenting and custody matters unique to LGBTQ relationships, and family legal planning document preparation (wills, health care powers of attorney, and related planning).
Now that LGBTQ marriages are recognized throughout the country, Carol happily facilitates same-sex couple adoptions, stepparent adoptions, and parentage actions to confirm parentage of children born to married same gender couples (for whom a biologically based “presumption” of spouse’s parentage may not be recognized). Carol pioneered the establishment of shared custody for LGBTQ and other unmarried parents beginning in 1997, which laid the groundwork for the Ohio Supreme Court’s affirmation of that practice. In honor of that work, Carol was awarded the Stoney Award by Stonewall Union. Carol also represented the first non-biological mother to obtain shared custody over the objection of the biological-mother, despite the lack of any formal written agreement.
Carol was the first Chair of the Columbus Bar Association’s LGBT Committee, is a member of Temple Beth Shalom where she also plays piano, and formerly served as an elected member and President of the Bexley School Board. She is a frequent speaker on LGBTQ legal issues.
BAR ADMISSIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS:
- State of Ohio Bar, 1985
- United States District Court, Southern District of Ohio
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Columbus Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- National LGBT Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association Certified Family Relations Law Specialist 2005
- Central Ohio Academy of Collaborative Divorce Professionals
- Miami University, Oxford, Ohio (1976) – B.A. in Political Science / Public Administration
- The Ohio State University, Moritz College of Law (1984) – Juris Doctor, Order of the Coif
Carol grew up in Cincinnati, Ohio, and moved to Columbus in 1978. She has lived in Bexley with her family since 1993. She likes to cook, garden, read, exercise, and travel.